Questions to Ask Your Faculty Adviser
Students are in different places on their educational path; use these questions to generate your own questions to ask your Faculty Advisor on Advising Day.
- Can you help me choose classes for next quarter?
- Do I need any more English or math for my degree?
- Have I been taking the right classes for my degree?
- Am I on track to graduate?
- I still don't know what I want to study, how did you decide on your career?
- I'm almost done with my degree:
- Can you help me figure out what I need to do to transfer to another school?
- Can you give me advice on looking for a job?
- What kinds of grades do I need to get to pass English and math classes?
- What careers options are there in my field?
- How much education is needed for my career goal?
- What are the differences between associate degrees and bachelor degrees?
- What is the difference between a major and a minor?
- How does my GPA impact my transfer options?
- What are appropriate electives for my majors?
Things to do after you meet with your Faculty Advisor:
- Double-check your schedule for any conflicts.
- Ensure there are no time conflicts between the classes you have selected.
- Ensure there are no conflicts between your class schedule and work schedule.
- Ensure you have met all of the prerequisites for the classes.
- Figure out how you will pay tuition.
- If you are paying out-of-pocket, will you have the funds ready by the tuition deadline?
- If you are working with Financial Aid or some other funding source, have you checked to ensure your funding will cover your classes?
- Enroll in classes on your assigned day and time to get priority pick of classes.
- Get your books.
If you would like to change your Faculty Advisor, fill out and submit a Change of Advisor Request form (PDF).