Due to safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID 19, WVC has closed the testing center until further notice. Because the WritePlacer is not available, WVC has approved the following alternative qualifying measures:
Any Washington State high school junior or senior can enroll in Running Start, provided they are registered with a Washington public school district. Home school and private school students must register with a public school district to take participate in Running Start.
- High school cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher.
- PSAT Reading of 500 or higher
- SAT Reading of 500 or higher
- ELA Smarter Balanced Assessment score of 3 or 4
- ACT English score of 20 or higher
- ACT Reading score of 21 or higher
- AP English score of 4 or 5
The student must make the final decision regarding if they are ready for college-level coursework on a full time or part time basis. Students are encouraged to seek the guidance of their parents, high school counselors, and college personnel while considering Running Start as an option. However, ultimately, it is only the student's decision to pursue this pathway. For more to consider see What to Consider.
Math is not a qualifying factor for the program. If a student wants to take a college level math or math-related course, qualifications for enrollment are:
- College-level math placement score (Accuplacer)
- Qualifying score on math Smarter Balanced Assessment (3 or 4)
- A grade of C or higher in Algebra 2 or higher at the high school
Running Start students are limited to "college-level" courses at the community college, and the placement test results are used to determine readiness for college-level work. To qualify for non-math related courses, students need a college-level score in the WritePlacer section of the Accuplacer. A score of 5 or higher is considered to indicate college readiness. To qualify for math-related courses, students may qualify with a grade of C or higher in Algebra 2 at the high school. They need to provide copies of transcripts to the Running Start office to be placed using this method.
Students may also qualify for Running Start and college-level courses using the Smarter Balanced Assessment. Students achieving a level 3 or 4 on the SBAC:ELA or the SBAC:Mathematics, may be placed in college-level courses by providing copies of the scores to the Running Start office.
Placement Test Information
- The Writeplacer is timed and usually takes an hour to complete.
- Once you have completed the test, no refund can be issued.
- Valid photo ID is required to test. Please bring your receipt and ID to the test session.
- Calculators, pencils, and scratch paper are provided.
- Scores are valid for 3 years. Students must wait 3 months before retesting.
- If you have a learning or physical disability, contact the WVC Student Access Coordinator before you schedule your test (in Wenatchee call 509.682.6854 or in Omak call 509.422.7812).
Wenatchee Testing Center
- The Wenatchee Testing Center is located on the first floor of Wenatchi Hall. Call or stop by to schedule a test (509.682.6830).
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early to your test. If you park in the Visitors Parking Lot, request a free parking day-pass at the Testing Center.
- Pay the test fee at the Cashiers Office in Wenatchi Hall prior to taking your test.
- To request a copy of your scores, please fill out a request form and email, fax, mail, or bring it into the testing center.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 509.682.6841
- Mailing address:
Wenatchee Valley College
1300 Fifth Street
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Omak Testing Center
- Call 509.422.7803 for more information or to schedule an appointment to take the placement test.
- Testing takes place in the Administration Building at 116 West Apple Avenue in Omak.
- If you are a high school student who is interested in the Running Start program at the Omak campus, do not take the Pre-Placement Questionnaire; instead contact the Running Start Educational Planner in Omak for program eligibility requirements (509.422.7848).
If you choose to bring your own calculator, the following are not allowed for the placement test:
- Casio: CFX-9970G, CFX-9970GE, Algebra fx 2.0
- Texas Instruments: TI-89, TI-92, TI-92 plus
- Hewlett Packard: HP-40G and HP-49G
- Pocket organizers
- Handheld or laptop computers
- Electronic writing pads or pen-input devices
- Calculators with a typewriter (QWERTY) keypad.
- Calculators built into cellular phones or other wireless communication devices.