Medical Assistant Admission
What are the prerequisites?
Click here (PDF) to get a list of all the general requirements and prerequisites. Attend an in-person Allied Health Information Session or watch the video below to learn more.
How are transfer credits evaluated?
If you have transfer credits, it is recommended that you have your credits evaluated by requesting an official Credit Evaluation (PDF). You can also use the Equivalency Chart as a guide.
When are applications accepted?
The program starts every fall quarter and takes 1 year to complete. MA classes are held Monday-Thursday evenings and Saturdays from 8am-5pm.
- Fall Quarter 2018: Applications are accepted in June every year. The next application window will be
announced winter quarter 2018.
What are the application requirements?
You must be 18 by the start of the clinicals to apply (clinicals start the fourth quarter of the program). You must also complete all general requirements and prerequisites (PDF) before applying. Once those requirements are met, complete all the steps below.
- Apply to WVC
- Read the application instructions (PDF)
- Complete the MA Application (PDF)
- Attach a sealed, official high school transcript or a sealed, official GED® transcript
- Attach up-to-date sealed, official college transcripts from all colleges where you
have earned credit (excluding WVC)
- If you have entire transcripts that are over 10 years old, contact the Allied Health Educational Planner
- You can have your transcripts mailed directly to WVC but it is preferred that you attach them to your application
- Attach a copy of your current Basic First Aid card
- Attach a copy of your current Healthcare Provider CPR card
- Submit your application.
How are applications evaluated?
Selection of students for the program is based on grades. Students with the highest cumulative college GPA are admitted.
What do I need to complete if I am accepted?
All applicants will be notified about a month after applying. If you are accepted to the MA program, you must complete all the requirements detailed on this page (PDF) as well as all items listed in the acceptance packet. You should also be prepared to pay a $50, non-refundable, acceptance fee.
What else should I know before applying?
- Acceptance to WVC does not guarantee acceptance to the MA program.
- If you leave the MA program for any reason, contact the Director of the MA program to discuss your re-entry options at (509) 682-6667.
- On-the-job physical requirements include the ability to lift 50 pounds, carry 20 pounds, sit for 4 hours, and stand for 8-12 hours.
- Conviction of certain crimes may prevent completion of the clinical requirements of
the program and may prevent future licensure and employment in health care. A criminal
record check is required prior to any clinical training experience or clinical field
trips. If you have a criminal record, meet with the Dean of Allied Health and Nursing
((509) 682-6660) to determine if your criminal history would prevent access to a health care facility.
- To determine if the criminal record would prevent eligibility to take the national exam, visit the AAMA website and download information from the "ethics" section.